Olympics Recreational Mathematics was founded in the city of Loja, by the Particular Educational Unit “San Gerardo” in the school year 2007 – 2008, and since then has organized five meetings between schools in this city for the eighth, ninth and tenth years of education basic
On Friday, March 4, 2005, an interschool mathematics contest was held, which consisted of mental calculation and mathematical games, which was created by Dr. Violeta Pilco Correa and executed by Dr. Astrid Reich.
As of the academic year 2012 – 2013, the invitation was made to all the educational establishments of the Province of Loja. It involved students from schools, public and private, both the sierra and the coast.
In the academic year 2013 – 2014, the invitation was also made to students of sixth and seventh years of basic education, and of high school students of the different public and private educational establishments of Southern Ecuador and Northern Peru.
It is expected that from this event will emerge the participants who will represent the province of Loja and Ecuador, inside and outside the country.
Acquiring the commitment to establish a regular contest and with the standards of international level competitions.
Organized Olympics are not strictly curricular competencies. In them, it is sought, above all, to encourage creativity, inventiveness, critical spirit through a playful approach to mathematics and, at higher levels, the capacity for abstraction and deduction, core characteristics of mathematical activity, applicable and necessary in everyday life, university studies, and professional life.
Perform the SG Recreational Mathematics Olympiad at the Binational level, with the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth grade levels of basic education; First, Second and Third Baccalaureate Ecuador – Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth Grade of Primary; First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Secondary Peru.
- Cultivate enthusiasm and curiosity in children and young people of our region, the study of mathematics.
- To consolidate participation in events related to mathematical work in the educational institutions of southern Ecuador and northern Peru, such as the recreational mathematics Olympiad.
- Stimulate the resolution of mathematical problems in an atmosphere of friendship and companionship.
- Encourage in society the recognition of mathematics as a tool that is part of their culture and that promotes the freedom of the individual by providing them with reasoning and deduction skills.
- Collaborate with the institutions of basic education and baccalaureate in the mathematical formation of children and young people.
- Highlight and recognize the mathematical talent of children and young people.
- Obtain the knowledge and recognition of our work in the Olympics by the Educational Institutions at the International level.
- Promote the participation of the most outstanding competitors, representing the Province and the Country in national and international competitions.
Levels and Categories:
|Group||Level 7||1st, 2nd and 3rd Baccalaureate||3rd, 4th and 5th Grade Secondary School|
|Individual||Level 6||10th Grade General Basic Education||2nd Grade Secondary School|
|Individual||Level 5||9th Grade General Basic Education||1st Grade Secondary School|
|Individual||Level 4||8th Grade General Basic Education||6th Grade Primary School|
|Individual||Level 3||7th Grade General Basic Education||5th Grade Primary School|
|Individual||Level 2||6th Grade General Basic Education||4th Grade Primary School|
|Individual||Level 1||5th Grade General Basic Education||3rd Grade Primary School|
Tests contents by level
The tests consist of 10 questions related to the following topics for each level:
Level 1: 5th Grade of Basic Ecuador – 3rd Grade of Primary Peru
- Decreasing numerical patterns.
- Natural numbers of up to 9 figures.
- Positional value of natural numbers.
- Sequence and order.
- Operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of natural numbers
- Calculate the product of natural numbers by 10, 100 and 1000.
- Basic operations with decimal numbers.
- Fractions and operations with fractions.
Level 2: 6th Grade of Basic Ecuador – 4th Grade of Primary Peru
- Numerical successions: increasing and decreasing-combined with the four basic operations.
- Divisibility criteria: prime and composite numbers ..
- MCM and MCD of natural numbers. Exercises and problems.
- Operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of fractions.
- Decimal expressions and Rounding.
- Areas and Classification of parallelograms, triangles, and trapezoids.
- Statistical study: Representation and interpretation of data, polygonal and circular diagrams.
Level 3: 7th Grade of Basic Ecuador – 5th Grade of Primary Peru
- Sets, union, intersection, and difference.
- Divisibility:: MCM and MCD. Exercises and Problems
- Operations combined with fractions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, potentiation, root, and division).
- Problems with fractions.
- Potentiation and exact radication with natural numbers.
- Cartesian plane.
- Volume measurements (Reductions).
- Multiples and divisors.